If you’re a sole trader in need of a website, then the most cost-effective option is to do it yourself. Yes, even if you have ZERO design experience.
You’ve almost certainly heard of WordPress. It’s the world’s most popular Content Management System (CMS) – and it’s never been easier to put together a great-looking website in less time than it would take you to pop to your local shops and back.
In around one hour from now, you could have your very own business website up and running, with the minimum of fuss and effort. In fact, (shameless plug alert!) I’ve just made a short course that will enable you to do exactly that.
’60-Minute WordPress for Small Business Start-Ups … Build Your First Website in Less than One Hour!’ is available exclusively through my teaching school Aspire50+
No matter what size enterprise you run currently, it’s likely you’ll have lofty ambitions. Which means you’ll need to be able to update your website on a regular basis. Perhaps you’ll also want a blog facility too – it’s a great way to engage with your target market and perfect for SEO too.
A friend told me recently, that her web design company wanted to charge her £70 to make ‘one small tweak’ to her website. (She needed a new photograph uploading to the ‘Home’ page and she was unable to access the website dashboard herself). Now I’m all for people making money, but £70 to upload ONE image? Seems like ‘websites for small business‘ equals BIG business!
So, here’s seven great reasons why YOU should design your own website/ blog using WordPress.org (the self-hosted version of WordPress):
- You’ll have complete control over every aspect of your website: layout, navigation, branding and content.
- You won’t be at the mercy of some web management company and their crazy ‘on-a-whim’, fee structure.
- You’ll be able to scale your website as your business grows for no extra cost.
- You can use free/ low-cost Plugins to enhance the functionality of your site.
- You will be able to add unlimited customisation options: Portfolio, Storefront, e-Commerce – and more.
- You’ll add a valuable new skill to your armoury; one that will serve you well now and for the future. Who knows, you might decide you have a real eye for design and want to use your talent to help others start up in business!
- You’ll be able to say, (with some sense of self-satisfaction I might add), “Who created my website? Why, I designed this myself!”
So if you’re ready, then let’s get started. Create your small business website today in just one hour – with WordPress – the world’s favourite content management platform!